Towns are bustling bastions of civilization that provides the weary hero with much-needed respite from the difficult life of adventuring. As the major landmarks of Godville, they are the most visited geographical locations and often have large populations consisting mostly of traders, thieves (which really come under the traders category), normal villagers, doctors, builders, priests and other heroes. Some towns are better than others and some may even be considered great tourist attractions. Heroes take time to relax in these often very social places, and to prepare themselves for the next phase in their current quest. Think of them as the hero's pit-stop and you can't go wrong.
The glorious golden capital city of Godville, home of temples, bustling hive of arkbuilding, perpetual construction zone, and center of all business in the land, is always found at Milestone 0, and is the origin of the Godville road.
But the road from Godville winds a folded, unpredictable path through G-space. Various geographical features and territories seem to move unpredictably, and towns are no exception. Each town has a home milestone, a location where it is most likely to be found along the road. But each day, the road coils anew around the landscape, and sometimes even the towns themselves get up and move around, and may not be where you expect them.
Every day, several towns on the map will appear in grey, instead of the usual white (or black, in dark themes). That signifies that mysterious forces have decided that, for today, that's where that town will be found. The following day, it might return home, or it might continue to wander. With each new edition of the Godville Times, the road is reset.
The activities a hero may do in a town include, in no particular order:
- Selling the artifacts for gold or being tricked into giving artifacts to a trader for free.
- Exchanging gold for equipment or selling old equipment for gold.
- Praying, which results in an increase of a God's godpower.
- Resurrecting, as a hero's resurrection occurs at the last town the hero passed.
- Replenishing health by resting under a tree or other location, visiting a doctor, or in more extreme cases, being admitted to hospital.
- Spending large amounts of gold through having a good time at a pub, tavern, and at the concerts of a favorite band
- Adding gold to savings.
- Trying to find a date and continually getting rejected, often through a painful injection.
- Getting robbed, resulting in loss of gold.
- Sacrificing gold at a place of worship, which increases godpower
- Additionally, only in the town of Godville can a hero:
- Sacrifice 10, 20, or 30 bags of gold (10,000, 20,000, or 30,000 gold coins, respectively) in exchange for additional experience.
- Continue or complete construction of a temple if gold bricks have been acquired since the hero last visited Godville
- Receive additional rewards from a temple (e.g. accumulator charges, gold coin donations, gopher wood logs).
- Get assigned a new quest.
- Sleep (not to be confused with death).
|Permanent||Godville (0) • Simpletown (5) • Bumchester (15) • Last Resort (22) • Next Station (27) • Beerburgh (35) • Healiopolis (42) • Unsettlement (48) • Trollbridge (55) • Herowin (67) • Los Demonos (74) • El Herado (82) • Monsterdam (93) • Tradeburg (101) • Quirkytown (111) • Los Adminos (128) • Nothingham (146) • Bosswell (157) • San Satanos (176) • Egopolis (199) • Godvillewood (226) • Herolympus (251) • Dogville (287) • Anville (355) • Monstro City (404) • Bad Gateway (502) • Deville (666) • Lostway (757) • Unspecifiedistan (911) • Dessertown (1070) • Herostan (1317) • Newland (1499) • Roflopolis (?) • Heisenburg ()|