Godville on the Cheap: A
Mooch's Nonpayer's Perspective
Don't go broke making your hero rich!
Topic #1: How to Dig without Being a Leech
Greetings! I have been a lifetime non-payer of Godville, partially because I think if I linked my Paypal to Godville I would quickly empty my bank account, but also because I am just too darn cheap. Having felt the frustration of not being able to keep up with my paying companions, I felt I would share my strategies at efficiently playing the game. Since digging boss monsters has become my new favorite past-time, I thought I might share my approach on it.
Why dig? Digging can trigger boss monsters, which you fight with allies. They are often incredibly rich and usually carry at least two bricks, so they are good for both nontemple and temple owners alike. They are also invaluable for reviving knocked out pets. Plus, there's a shiny hunter achievement.
Know how to effectively dig: There are several guides already in the wiki and on the HM forum but the most basic advice is to never dig while fighting or in town. To trigger a boss monster, you also generally need to be at least half health
Be prepared: Like arena, make sure you carry at least 3 charges into battle, since you never know what you are going to match. I also usually only dig at full GP and very high health (e.g. after leaving town), since this will save you from having to heal early in the battle. I NEVER use all my GP to get a trigger message unless I am prepared to use a charge or several. Success in Godville in general requires either patience or money.
Know your boss monster: There is a forum thread dedicated to it here. It is a flat out waste of GP to use VCs against a deafening or punishes against a faithless, for example. Also, check the health level of the monster. I have fought more than one boss where none of the allies needed to use any GP, though this is rare. If the health level is approximately less than twice the combined health of you and your allies, and as long as it isn't sweeping, it's a good candidate for a 0 GP battle. Especially if it has pickpocketing or other such skills which cause it to skip a turn fighting in favor of other actions. That said, I only try this when I match friends who agree to the same, and in general if I see my ally wants to fight it, out of courtesy I will help too whether I know them or not.
Help out: Attack VC and punish when appropriate, especially if you notice your ally is too. Be ok with using charges. We've all matched that guy who just heals and prays the whole time. Don't be that guy. You can heal and pray, but don't make it the only thing you do. A lot of us who dig are friends, and we talk. Don't develop a bad reputation, I have known folks who have purposely tried to heal the monster to outlast lazy allies, or used miracles to destroy all its stuff. On the flip side, I have made half a dozen friends from people who've added me for being a helpful ally. EXCEPTION: if you match an auriferous, which makes gold over time. Don't try to hurt those.
Pray: This might be the most controversial thing on the list, but I think it is ok to pray if you are otherwise helping out. I reason that I end up using more GP fighting the monster in the end than I would otherwise. I generally start praying if I am at about 20% GP and don't need to urgently heal.
Be ok with ending in low health: This is risky, since it may end in death, but it will give you a free trip to town to heal, sell, and pray so you can get enough GP to dig again!
Use miracles: This is generally frowned upon since it does nothing to hurt the monster, and more often than not destroys his items. You will anger people. Besides, you're a nonpayer, and it's a waste of 50% GP.
Get To Know a Deity
Here we sit down weekly with a Harvest Moon warrior and find out what makes them tick. This week’s Deity is: Dasigaan 庙
The god of all the little people.
- Q: What's your favorite evil snack?
- A: Evil vegetarian chicken wings.
- Q: What color underwear are you wearing?
- A: Purple
- Q: What's the most evil thing your hero has done in your temple?
- A: Have 30 cute bunnies around and NOT pet them.
- Q: Do you get emotional using Encourage when in times of crisis?
- A: I've had tears.
- Q: What are your hero's marketable skills?
- A: He can throw a book into the air and catch it with his foot.
If you have a burning question for Harvest Moon's Deities, please submit them to the staff. Thank you!
Over the Moon
The Weekly Harvest Quiz
We've got games, we've got prizes!
How to play:
- Each week, there will be four “questions” posted here (and only here) in the Weekly Harvest. Answers to the questions can be found in the wiki, on the HM web site, in the forums or will be math/logic-based.
- Your “answers” must be in question form (a-la Jeopardy!).
- Answers must be submitted via the Harvest Moon Forum. Answers only, please! Don’t give away the questions to non-WH readers.
- The first god/dess to get all four questions right will win four (4) charges and be automatically entered to play in the Over the Moon Championship, held monthly on Palringo (yes, you’ll need to join Pal to play).
- The winner of the OtM Championship (to be based on a different game show each month) will receive 45 charges!!
This week’s Answers:
- This is the date, in g.e., that Harvest Moon was founded.
- This is the number of gods in Harvest Moon with a positive alignment.
- You need roughly this amount of gold to revive a level 20 pet.
- This guild is an ally with HM and was founded in the same month that Kate and Prince William were married.
Congratulations to last month’s OtM Championship winner Elementarion ! Good luck to all participants this week. See you in the forum!
Famous HM Heroes This Week
|#789 GODVILLE TIMES Day 1027 g.e.
|Kellor – 73rd-level adventurer, member of the “Harvest Moon” guild, with the motto “Spork!”, stands at the 65th position in the pantheon of mastery under the vigilant supervision of the god Kriton . The hero has no distinctive features to date; however, he promises to get some before his next appearance.
Member of the Week
Get to know a newer member of Harvest Moon! This week's guest is: Domerthos
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! Oops! It ate your hero!
- Q: How did you choose HM?
- A: I was looking at the guild pantheons and found Harvest Moon there in the top rankings and I was looking for an evil guild.
- Q: Where does your heroine hide her coin purse?
- A: I didn't even know she has one because every time I look at her she wastes it for beer or stupid things.
- Q: Name some things that you and your hero have in common.
- A: We are both evil minded and love to steal candy from babies.
- Q: What advice would you give a newer player?
- A: Forget your current guild, become evil and then join Harvest Moon!
- Q: What toppings do you like on your kitten sammiches?
- A: Hmm... A little bit of well-roasted good hero and an Ideaboxer’s heart.
- Q: Where would your heroine go on their first date...assuming they ever get one?
- A: Into a dark, scary castle surrounded by lightning and lava... Oh, I've forgotten to mention the terrifying, hungry dragon!
What would you like to know about your Harvest Moon guild mates? Submit your questions to any member of the Weekly Harvest staff!
|Selling Evil Since Day 898 g.e.
|WELCOME: Visit HP's newly remodeled closet! Don't not jump into the puppy pit! It’s an experience you’ll wish you wouldn’t never forget!
|FREE: Left over muffin bottoms. The most evil part of the muffin. Offer good only while supplies last. Visit the Blue Feather kitchen today!
|SERVICES: Revolutionary new tanning salon open. Feel free to fry! Visit the Turn & Burn in Bumchester and ask about our new hot oil treatment.
|FOR SALE: Old rusty coffee can. Only used once as an urn. 61 gold coins OBO. Call ITS-NO1-UKNO to make an offer.
|SERVICES: In fear for your life? Running from the long arm of the law? Call the law firm of Hangman & Gallows at 900-WHAT-LAW.
|FOR SALE: Extra large shrunken heads for half price! Visit Oopsie’s House of Magic in Tradeburg today!
|HELP WANTED: Hero’s Bloody Itch “skill” appears to be contagious. Looking for someone to scratch mine. Full time and part time positions available. Pay based on experience. Call 555-HELP today! Please!
|FOR SALE: Sock monkey. Trained to smoke cigarettes and play the organ. Only 5000 gold coins! Call ITS-NOT-EVIL to arrange delivery.
|WANTED: Elderly bear seeks level-up scrolls to aid in the process he just doesn’t want to do himself. Will pay handsomely. Call TON-HFBS with any info.
Doctor Frank's Advice Corner
|Dear Dr. Frank,
I keep burying monsters but other gods keep making their heroes dig them up! Are they trying to provoke me or what?
Signed, Buried ‘em for a reason
Dearest Soon-to-be most popular god in GV,
Maybe if you told them they’d stop? Bwahahahaha! Sorry. Almost got through that sentence with a straight face. Here’s the deal: you keep burying them, the others will keep digging them up. It’s not about you, buddy. They don’t even know about you (I always thought the monsters buried themselves). Quite honestly, digging for monsters is just too fun to quit! Perhaps instead of trying to keep them buried, you should recruit a few friends to help you bury more so there’s even more to dig up! Why, just the other day, my usually dim-witted hero quite eruditely pointed out how unsustainable the “everyone wants to dig but no one wants to bury” business model is. Please, keep burying them and try to change your outlook. After all, whether buried or dispatched, it’s still one less monster prowling Godville.
Dear Dr. Frank,
All I want to do is zooma zoom zoom zoom and a poom-poom. Please help! I’ve stopped eating and sleeping. I’m really worried. Am I going to die?
Signed A-wiggle & a-jiggle
Dearest Check baby, check baby, one, two, three, four,
It's called the rump shaker and... well... it's highly contagious. There's good news and bad news. The bad news: yes, you're going to die (all mortals do). The good news: it won't (amazingly enough) be from this. While the rump shaker's beat is bound to get you up, cold flowin' like a faucet, not mean to make you sit, not mean to make you jump, I think I can safely say (as a totally awesome "doctor" of sorts) that turning off your stereo may remedy your malady or, in terms you may better comprehend: fix the sitch-ee-ay-shun. Turn off the stereo or at least take Wreckx-N-Effect off of repeat and/or put away the mix tapes your ex made you in 1992. You'll be fine.
Just. Turn. It. Off.
No question is too great or too small! Submit your questions for Doctor Frank-n-furter to any member of the staff. No invites? Send them via email to email@example.com.
|Nothing to see here. Move along, now. Seriously, we've got it all under control. Everything's fine.
What are you looking at? I said it's handled. Sheesh.