Opening the Lid of the Ideabox
Your Ideabox Neighborhood Resources By: SourceRunner
Ideabox: 1. n. The developers' crowd-sourced mechanism for determining what the Godville deity wants to see in his/her hero(ine)'s environment and diary. 2. v. To idly or competitively submit ideas to and/or vote for ideas in the Ideabox. 3. v. To engage in and/or enjoy the community that has built itself up around this initially lonely-seeming activity.
Whether one is new to the Ideabox or is an old hand at submitting and voting, there are resources and indicators that the ideaboxing community has or has developed of which you may not be aware. The below will provide an overview of many of the resources to get you started or continue to develop your skills in the long game sport of Godville.
- GodWiki on Ideabox: This article can answer most of the basic questions and prevent the worst errors that can get an idea voted down-- errors such as putting a field monster combat entry into duelbox or using indecipherable variables. It also provides interesting information about what to expect when certain numbered of ideas and grammar corrections get accepted; some of the perks are well worth the effort.
- What Not to Ideabox, a la Gorgeous George: This parody and self-lampooning thread, actually titled "How to Make Your Idea FAIL in the Ideabox [...]" is chock full of tactics that have been proven not to work (that week-old 4chan meme with the comment "LOL look it up"? Not your best bet) and examples of 0-3 yes-vote-earners from deities of all levels, that we're laughing off. Celebrating, even. Why? Because ideaboxers don't have skeletons in our closets, we have doughnut recipes.
- Guild Council/Guild Palringo: Chances are that one or more of your guildmates is an experienced ideaboxer who might be willing to talk and walk with you through the brainstorming, writing, submitting, voting, ERing, acceptance/rejection, and even appeal of an idea. Never hesitate to ask for help from your support network.
- Palringo Ideabox Chat: This chat, titled "gv i.d.e.a" (thank you, Jimbob64 , for getting that information) is not listed in the Palringo index, but it is reportedly a wildly fun place where helpful deities abound. It has been known to hold open brainstorming sessions, allow for pre-submission idea editing and enhancement, and be a signboard for current ideabox challenges.
- The ✔, The X, or The □: Most of those funny symbols in heroes' motto lines represent guild affiliation, but these three signal Ideabox affiliation (courtesy of Kyrin and Blue Panda). Those of us with these symbols consider ourselves serious ideaboxers. If you contact one of us, we can put you in touch with one of our number willing to mentor a beginning ideaboxer or partner with an existing ideaboxer for a small-group ideabox challenge.
- Other Guilds’ Wikis: In the event that your own guild does not contain an ideaboxer or has no guild-specific ideaboxing resources, consider scouring other guilds’ wiki pages. Some of the larger guilds have posted or linked resources for their members’ convenience. Resources and guides placed in GodWiki are open source and available for use by all.
- Why Is Everyone Such a Harda** in the Ideabox? can be and periodically has been repurposed for general gripes. It is a good resource for airing grievances and knowing that you are not alone, or for a general query about if your grievance is a common problem.
- ER is a Workman's Forum thread dedicated to the function and improvement of the Enhancement Room. From time to time, it has been used to guide new ER personnel in the honing of their enhancement skills. It has also been a ground for discussion of the philosophy of enhancement.
- New Ideas and Feature Proposals is also a thread in the Workmen's Forum, but it is not strictly devoted to the ideabox. Instead, it takes suggestions to improve game function and content. Historically, this has included suggestions for the improvement of the Ideabox itself. Please note, it is best to check the "Harda**" and "ER" fora first, to see if there is an explanation for a particular feature being the way that it is.
- Blank Spots: The largest resource for the ideaboxer is the blank spot/underpopulated category. The developers and other deities will often list the ones that most concern them in the Wanted Content thread in the Workmen’s Forum. However, intuition is actually the most potent way to recognize a blank spot or underpopulated category: listen to your internal narrative. When you catch yourself thinking, “Why isn’t this concept in the game?” or “That’s weird; why don’t I see more of--?” or “I’m so tired of seeing this entry; we need more variety!” you have probably recognized a blank spot. Recognition leads to being able to do something about it.
- Voting Strategies: The Ideabox is much more populous now than it ever has been before. Specifically for any who may be feeling overwhelmed by voting, the Ideabox community has been developing the following strategies to reduce stress over the "firehose effect."
- Tier Focus: Some focus on level one, preferring to leave the "drudge work" of correcting to others and instead decide what gets to ER in the first place. Others focus on ER, preferring to leave the "drudge work" of all that voting to some and instead pursue the goal of the perfect entry from the cream of the crop. Result? Half the work, half the stress level.
- Job Share: Some have discussed splitting level one voting with a friend with similar tastes. These partners report to each other where they last left off voting, and pick up at stopping points so as not to duplicate efforts or give particular ideas unfair advantage. This must be carefully arranged (no actual pairs yet documented, just discussion), and each person must have the same voting power. Result? Theoretically, everyone takes a lesser voting burden.
- Repetition: This method generally only appeals to Ideabox addicts and ER predators. It entails visiting the Ideabox multiple times per day, and voting on/ERing the ideas that have become available recently. Result? While the work level is the same, the smaller portions that it comes in make it less onerous.
- Submission Strategy: With the increase in Ideabox population has come the problem of ideas "getting lost in the flood." Whether this is real or imagined, it is a true concern for many who feel that creation of a wildly funny/truly memorable/completely original idea is now close to impossible. Until we get our confidence back, the following tactics have been growing in prevalence.
- Ideabox Challenge: Some have developed groups and partnerships where they challenge each other to design ideas to certain specifications (make use of a particular pair of variables in a diary entry, or include a certain key phrase in submitter's choice of category, for instance) over a defined period in time. This tactic has often been used to break mutual writer's block and provide variety fast for a previously unpopulated function, but it is finding new use in elevating ideas above the flood that the Ideabox is experiencing. Since the Ideabox challenge produces a large number of thematically similar ideas in a short space of time, it trains voters to look at these entries more in relation to each other than to the overall population of ideas. While competition between these ideas becomes fiercer, the themed ideas stand above the flood as a group and together appear to attract more voter attention than when sprinkled at random. It is important to note that these challenges come in two flavors. 'Community Challenge' gets spread and passed along throughout the Ideabox community so far that nobody can be certain who submitted what, which makes voting effectively blind again. 'Small Group Challenge' (originated by Morrigan Dahlia ) involves pairs and triads, where ease of determining who submitted what or mutual quality checking requires that participants arrange a moratorium on voting or ERing. To get involved in a community challenge or start one of your own, look for someone with a ✔, □, or X in the motto.
- Idea Appeal: This thread in the Workman's Forum is the developers' way of letting us explain ideas that the developers rejected. An idea placed in this thread, with full description of any references and a lucid explanation of exactly what makes it funny will receive a second review from the developers. Not all ideas placed in this thread will be accepted on this second review, but several have and may now be seen around Godville. It is suggested that no more than eight ideas be submitted for second review in a single post, as there appears to be a direct correlation between a low number of ideas and successful acceptance on second review.
This list of resources is as complete as possible, but may easily have missed the full extent of support available on Palringo. Please consider going beyond these resources as you build your own connections with the Ideabox Community. Happy Ideaboxing!
Fun with Fiends
Here we sit down periodically with a common opponent (a.k.a. a Godville monster) and find out what’s behind the mask. This week’s fiend is: Vogon Poet.
I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!
- Q: Why do you fight heroes?
- A: If you want that information, you need to send me a formal request in triplicate.
- Q: Why is that?
- A: If you want that information, you need to send me a formal request in triplicate.
- Q: Does that go for anything I ask you about?
- A: If you want that information, you need to send me a formal request in triplicate.
- Q: I think I can guess the answer. I guess there's no use trying?
- A: If you want that information, you...
- Q: Okay, okay, I get it.
- A: No, you don't. If you want to get it, you need to send me a formal request in triplicate.
Our interviewer tried to end the interview at this point, which also required a formal request... in triplicate, the submission of which had to be accompanied by a formal request... You get the picture. As far as we know, he’s still doing paperwork. We hope he’ll be done in time to complete his assignment for next week! If you have a burning question for a Godville monster, or a particular monster you’d like to know more about, submit your questions or ideas to the HMWH staff. Thank you.
Hidden Shadows Riddles
How to play:
When is a door not a door?
- Each week, a riddle will be posted in here (and only here) in The Weekly Harvest.
- To try to solve the riddle, post your answer on Hidden Shadows guild forum.
- Do not worry about the previous posts before you. If your answer is not listed yet, post it!
- You are given three tries. Once you’ve guessed three times, you will be unable to guess again.
- If the riddle is still unanswered two days before the next riddle is posted, anyone will be allowed to guess regardless of number of previous guesses.
- Answer will be posted the day of the new riddle should nobody figure out the answer.
- Winner will get a spot in sowing Sun’s Sunday sock puppet play.
- Play again next week to see if you can win!
This Week’s Riddle:
I'm loved and hated by many and some. A sweet little thing, I'm creative and fun. I'm here everyday whether you like me or not. Watch me carefully. I tend to cause problems a lot.
Congratulations to NASCAR Fanatic who won himself a role in this week’s sock puppet play! Who will get their chance at fame this week? You can’t win if you don’t play! Good luck!
Member of the Week
Get to know a member of Harvest Moon! This week's guest is none other than our very own comic artist extraordinaire: Somnias Vagus
“This is the face of evil?”
Get to know her, folks... We dare you!
Of course, she can’t just write her answers down...
- Q: How did you choose HM?
Ahahahahahahaha... Oh, wait. You were serious? I didn’t. No regrets, though!
- Q: What song do you like to dance to?
- Q: If you had to choose between frolicking with butterflies or hugging a puppy, which would you choose and why (death is not an option).
- Q: What color underwear are you wearing?
... I’m not going to check.
- Q: Do you have any hidden talents?
I can do a double lunge in fencing :) It’s basically doing one lunge after another without pause - something which takes a lot of explosive energy.
- Q: What toppings do you like on your kitten sammiches?
I’ll let you know when I get around to trying it.
- Q: Do you get emotional using Encourage when in times of crisis?
Victory at all costs, no?
What would you like to know about your Harvest Moon guild mates? Submit your questions to any member of the Weekly Harvest staff!'
|Selling Evil Since Day 898 g.e.
|WANTED: Synchronized digging lessons will pay in kitty schmiches. Look for the hero outside Beerburgh, surrounded by holes and scratching his head.
FOR SALE: New and improved Pandora’s box. Who said history doesn't repeat itself? What will be in Pandora's box this time? Only one way to find out! Stop by Curcio’s Curious Curios today!
HELP WANTED: Now taking applications for a part time bartender job for more information call Oogie at the Down and Out in Bumchester.
FOR SALE: We have the perfect gift for that special hero you're –stalking- watching. Browse through our fine collection of matching armor, sharp weapons and coin purses available in many colors. Stop by and find the perfect gift today! Visit us at Gidgit’s Gadgets just inside the Tradeburg city walls.
FOR SALE: Signs! Help wanted signs, yard/garage sale signs, beware of pet dust bunny signs and more! We even have make custom signs! Visit Signs Eventually in Monsterdam where we know you aren’t in a hurry.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You’ll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before. Those who are serious, call: 555-TIME-WAR
FOR SALE Used tombstone. Perfect for someone named Homer Dancel. Only one available. Visit Thom’s Thoomstones in Deville!
FOR SALE: Ferocious, loving, cuddly pet. Eats anything and is especially fond of heroes. Call 555-Nooooo! Dang it, Simba! Seriously? You’re going to eat my pho...
WANTED: Nemesis. I’m 5’10″, into kayaking, books and conversation (by day), justice, honor and vengeance (by night). Seeking Arch-Enemy. Possibly crime lord or evil drinking buddy. Post replies in the Weekly Harvest.
NEEDED: Evil hero that does not run away, spend money on useless stuff, and is not in constant need of resurrecting/pet rezzing … Cancel the add, dude. What am I saying...?
Doctor Frank's Advice Corner
|Dear Dr. Frank, |
My former goody-goody heroine is now on the slightly evil side of life, but still loves to stop to smell the flowers instead of trample them. Punishing her doesn't seem to help. Are there any other ways to make her lose her soft touch?
I thought the dark side was supposed to be fun!
Dearest Dark-side convert,
Punishing doesn’t help, you say? Probably because you aren’t doing it quite enough yet. “Slightly evil” is just that: slight. I’m sure you’re trying and, if she was a goody-goody, let’s face facts: you were, too. Ease into it! Before long she’ll be thanking you for her well-earned punishment and asking you to toss another lightning bolt her way. “Slightly evil” is just the shallow end of the pool and, to completely dash her goody-goody tendencies, you need to wade in quite a bit further (we’re talking deep end of the pool, my friend). This is the difference between that annoying kid at the grocery store touching all the produce (slightly evil) and Damien from The Omen (that kid even creeps me out). You don’t think you want to go quite that far? It’s okay! You’re both going through an adjustment period and that can take time.
Here’s my advice: the next time you think “Ooh! That makes me want to hit the Punish button! Hmmm... Was it really that big of an offense, though? I mean every hero does that... Yeah, I’ll get over it,” think to yourself: WWD...FNFD? Yes, I’m still working on that and will have it sorted soon in hopes of selling my very own line of “What Would ____ Do” products. Look for them in the “As seen in GV” section at your local Bed Bath & Beyond! But I digress... The answer: I’d hit the punish button without even having that internal conversation. You want to be an evil Goddess with an evil heroine? Don’t dream it, be it!
Over the Moon
The Weekly Harvest Quiz
Games and winners and prizes! Oh, my!
We’ll bring you another quiz next week for your chance to compete in the next Championship. Until then, sharpen your wit and hone your trivia skills!
Congratulations to last week’s winner, Never More who is currently tied for 1st with Reyas in this month’s Championship round! That’s right, folks, we’re in the think of the competition playing “Who said it? Godville Squares! Will Nyrini or Godofbeer overtake them? Stay tuned!
- What: First Godville National Tournament
When: Registration is over and fights have begun!
Where: Track your friends’ and guildmates’ progress on the tournament’s tournament’s wiki.
Why: Some fights are just as fun to watch as they are to participate in! See what interesting tactics the gladiators come up with to help them overcome the limited-GP hurdle.
- What: Pirate raid!!
Where: The Silver Raven Piracy Guild forum and/or "raid-gv" on Palringo.
Why: Need some more excitement in your life? Bossing around your hero getting a little tedious? Need that one rare treasure to decorate your home? Then it's high time you went on a Raid! Join a Raid on another guild, alongside others, for your chance to snag some loot. Afterwards, come to the weekend-long Raid party and celebrate your "earnings"!
- Yourmama whose hero managed to complete their glorious temple just minutes before press time for this issue. We all look forward to crashing at your place this weekend!
- A R I E S and Magic Merlin who cajoled and prodded their heroes into finally raising their pets to Level 30 this week. Congrats, guys!