The Arena: Your Opponent
Researching Your Arena Opponent
Removing the mystery one click at a time.
I never thought I would be in the finals of the Harvest Moon vs KWSN tournament. But, now that I'm here, I thought I would take this opportunity to share a little bit of how I look at each match that I’m in from the first step to the last.
Upon entering the arena, I am always prepared to go the distance. “The distance” being as far as I can with the charges I have and with the intent to win it. It also means fighting until the last step is done. If you run out of charges and are not dead yet, don’t give up! Use voice commands and hope for the random prayer to give you more GP.
You’ve entered... and you match. You see your opponent for the first time. You have four steps to decide your response to who you are facing. Are they a serial loser, a serial Punisher or a serial Encourager? Are they a payer or a non-payer? A lot of those questions can be determined by their alignment and arena record. Look for significant differences in the win/loss column. If they're close together you might have somebody who plays possum and wins some and loses some. I suggest hitting these people hard out of the gate to intimidate them. But do not think you have them and walk away. A possum is always a possum and will wait until your guard is down.
The serial loser is easy to pick out by his larger than necessary loss number. I suggest using voice commands only to defeat these players. You can save your GP and still win the fight. Be on the lookout for people who help revive pets and give losses away. Sometimes these people will fight for a win if they match for any other reason, so always be on guard.
When it comes to alignment, I like to consider anything that is not “pure” to be a neutral. This meaning that these people will just as readily throw a encourage as a punish. Pure good or Pure evil will typically not risk ruining their alignment, but don't put it past them to try in desperation.
Arena record and alignment are the first two things you should check everytime you face an opponent, but there are other things that can help you know who you are facing such as guild. Some guilds are designed around certain activities such as arena or pet revival. Other guilds are small and leaderless. The small guilds that you probably have never heard of are less likely to have fighters who have been educated by the likes of Harvest Moon or the Knights Who Say Ni. You have resources within your guild who love to help in any way possible, so don't forget to ask them for advice in the arena! While your opponent in a no-name guild suffers the wrath of our accumulated knowledge you will be sitting pretty.
The more you arena, the more you will come to see things in your opponents that are common. You will be able to notice things you didn't notice before and and be able to relate it to mistakes you made in the past. Learn from your mistakes and know what to look for in the next match so as to not repeat it again. The Great Random may control all in the arena but that doesn’t mean you can’t do everything in your power to try and sway its judgment. Good luck!
At Home with Bella Stewart
| Advice from the Mavin of the Macabre, the Mistress of Mystery, our very own Empress: Bellatrixie The Strange!
- First up was the Blood Bath room, where Hairplug4men was relaxing, getting the kinks out after his latest grueling duel win in the Moon-Ni Tournament. Everything looked fine until the trainee gnome dumped a load of celery and some tabasco sauce in the bath. Startled, HP began thrashing around, chucking out the celery sticks, until some splashed in his mouth. He grinned and submerged. Apparently, the trainee got the blood bath mixed up with the grog soak and filled the tub with Bloody Marys. As I left, HP had found a straw and a rubber ducky and was drunkenly singing old show tunes. It was definitely time to move on.
- I next looked in on Lady Darkness, whose concrete body mask was ready for removal. We were chatting about shoes as we waited for her trainee gnome to fetch the hammer and chisel when there was an ungodly noise, and the trainee came at her with a jack hammer! Her eyes got big and she wriggled her fingers and toes frantically, but, of course, she couldn't move. I shouted at the gnome to cease and desist, but he couldn't hear me over the racket. I had no choice but to loose a lightning bolt. Such a waste of a good gnome...
- Next up, the Body Waxing room. SBFH waved hello just before he disappeared behind the screen and gave his order to the trainee. I lost track of time as I leafed through my magazine until there was a blood-curdling shriek. "What have you done??! I said a mini-wax, not the full Bumchester!!!" I decided to discreetly leave.
- I saw Dogess heading into the Gnome Massage room and asked if I could observe. She had no objections once I handed her a Dark Flame and promised to submit my column on time. Things were going along smoothly as her trainee gnome kneaded her with his knobby fingers. She was so relaxed, she was almost asleep, when the gnome suddenly climbed up on a chair and prepared to walk on her back. Being that gnomes weigh upwards of 300 pounds, well, let's just say he, too, became a crispy critter.
- My last stop was the Alignment Adjustment room. Sarika Nepartak was there to have her halo buffed and polished. I could hear all sorts of grinding, squeaking, creaking and whirring going on behind the screen. She finally emerged, smiling broadly. "I feel fantastic!" she beamed. "Never better!" As she was checking her alignment rating, I was trying to think of how to tell her about her new horns. "PURE EVIL!??? Aaaargh!" And lightning coursed from her fingers. I was about to french fry my third trainee when she put her hand on my arm to stop me. "Not so fast, Bella. I could get used to this...," she said with an evil grin. "But shhhhhh."
Obviously, the whole batch of gnomes have been sent back to Dr. Frank for some much-needed refinement. But the Harvest Moon Day Spa doors are still open, so come on by! I'm sure today was just a fluke. Really. Most likely. I hope.
Get To Know a Deity
Here we sit down weekly with a Harvest Moon warrior and find out what makes them tick. This week’s Deity is: DANgerzone 79 庙
Hard hats required to read further...
- Q: What is your favorite salty snack?
- A: Double Dragon on a stick. Yuummm!
- Q: What song do you love to dance to?
- A: Dance with the Devil. Duh!
- Q: What GV pet would you like to have?
- A: I really want a Dreaded Gazebo! It's just something about having a building following you around... I know it can't be ridden, but you'd never have to look for shelter on the road.
- Q: What are your hero’s marketable skills?
- A: There's so much lightning flying around him, he could easily power a moderately sized city on his own.
- Q:Do you get emotional using Encourage when in times of crisis?
- A: Totally! It goes completely against everything I stand for. I have asked the mods to put "For emergency use only" instead of "Encourage" on the button, but it hasn't happened yet.
- Q: If you had to choose between frolicking with butterflies or hugging a puppy, which would you choose and why (death is not an option).
- A: I miss you Simba, my loyal Sun Dog! So much lightning struck you down before your time. Wait, what was the question?
- Q: What's the most evil thing your hero has done in your temple?
- A: It' not so much what he's done, but what he's said he'd do. And for that... he's my hero. 05:36 – You know, Almighty, one day the world will shout ‘Save Us!’ and I’ll whisper ‘No…’.
If you have a burning question for Harvest Moon's Deities, please submit them to the staff. Thank you!
Tournament time! It'll be a scream!
April Absurdity, aka the Moon-Ni tourney, is wrapping up! Our very own Hairplug4men will be facing KWSN’s Nuanen in the fight for 1st place! Fighting for 3rd/4th are our Imprecise Master and KWSN’s Charles the Greatest . Lucky God Casino is taking bets. Place your bets and cheer on your guild-mates in their forum! You can follow the brackets here. Best of luck to HP and IM - may the Random be ever in your favor!
Attention warriors of Harvest Moon!
Are you ready for a bloody, old-school massacre? Sign up now for our Summer No-Influence Tournament!
The start-date is May 7 and you'll need to join Palringo to participate. Not on Pal yet? No worries! We'll get you started! For folks new to Pal, sign up will be May 1-3. Already there? Sign up May 4-5. Admins and Council members may sign up May 6.
The rules are very simple:
NO use of influence, NO use of voices, and the strictest rule: Have fun!
This time, we especially want our younger guild members to enter so that they can be better involved. So don't be shy and sign up! There's nothing to fear! This is an AFK tournament, everyone has a chance to win even if you're not an arena professional! As an added bonus, you can win fabulous prizes! There will be options for Harvest Moon merchandise or simply good, old-fashioned charges.
If you can bring somebody new to Pal you'll get an early sign up!
Sign up now by messaging Domerthos , Hairplug4men or Doctor Frank-n-furter .
Do you have a special GV date coming up or recently past? Let us know! We like to celebrate with our guildmates and love any excuse for a party! A godiversary, new temple, guild rank, pet medal or in-game achievement can be very exciting. Share it with us, and we'll share it with the world!
Congratulations to Rufustjynd on reaching the rank of Prophet in Harvest Moon! Thanks for sticking with us, Ruffy!
Famous HM Heroes This Week
|#834 GODVILLE TIMES Day 1080 g.e.
|EvilSnoopy - 65th level adventurer, member of the “Harvest Moon” guild, with the motto “For worlds end!!!!”, stands at the 155th position in the pantheon of savings under the vigilant supervision of the goddess EvilSnoopy . All he ever wanted was a little love and affection.
Belteshazzar the Confounding
This weeks confoundee is Zeerty . His simple questions might inspire one of you other simpletons to submit some. Rest assured, I can confound you, too.
Belt knows all! Or he’s lost it. We aren’t sure yet.
- Q: If I were a little green sea turtle, would I be able to imagine that I'm human and say "God bless you," whenever appropriate ?
- A: Nope. The main problem here is a little known fact, that marine biologists have tried to keep hidden for centuries. Sea turtles are jerks. They're crude, arrogant, and unmannered. Just look one in the face long and hard next time you're at Sea World, and tell me their expression doesn't say, "I'm better than you."
- Q: Is there something wrong with me if I enjoy (misplaced parentheses?
- A: Nothing wrong with that. Now, misplaced commas is a different story. Let me help. It should be "Is there anything wrong with me, if I enjoy (misplaced parentheses?" It's not too big a deal, though. I myself have problems with misplaced quotation marks sometimes, but a "smart" "guy" such as yourself shouldn't struggle to get my meaning.
- Q: Why isn't it okay to use the disabled persons stall when all the other stalls are occupied?
- A: Um, it isn't? What do they expect us to do? Use the sink?! ...which I have been know to do on rare but necessary occasions. Using the disabled stall is one of the few joys one can have in the bathroom. I mean, perching on the rails, dropping one from above, and hearing the sweet "Ka-sploosh!" of a well-aimed deposit is one of the greatest moments in a man's life. Of course, PC gone mad dictates this is ridiculous, but what do they know? Nothing fun, I'll tell you that.
If you’d like your future confounded, PM Belteshazzar or submit your questions to any member of the Weekly Harvest staff! Minimum of three questions, please, and no more than five.
|Selling Evil Since Day 898 g.e.
EVENT: Sign up today for Godville's first ever forum Pub Crawl. Tickets to this event can be purchased through the Weekly Harvest staff for the very cheap price of one Weekly Harvest idea, article, or suggestions to our writers.
SERVICES: Come to the brand new pet shop in Dogville - where every pet is dishwasher safe!
WANTED: Human-sized bear trap. Spiked hinged door preferred, but not required. Payment will be sent once the trap is placed outside Ceccetticat's temple door.
SERVICES: Try our “Morning Glory Whole Coffee” with a piece of our new Hot Pie Hole at the Wake and Bake Coffeehouse in Bumchester!
FOR SALE: Wok & Bowl restaurant, located in Last Resort. Balls not included. Ask for Pinhead in the alley out back.
SERVICES: Wookin' Pa Nub in all da wong paces? Call 1-877-BUH-WEET now for the award winning self-help CD set.
Ravings from a Geezer
| Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position or opinion of the Harvest Moon Blood Council, any deity on the HMWH staff (or remotely associated with the Weekly Harvest) or any other |sane HM member or GV participant.
Anime. Need I say more? Of course, I do. There is not much more in life that irks me quite like crap "cartoons" and their lame attempt at animation. Yeesh.
If I wanted to watch something like that, I'd have a child show me their flip book artwork of a dog chasing a man. "Wow, Timmy, that's great. I like the way the story line progressed with loads of movement left out. I see here the man is looking back in terror, and in the next image, the dog is holding his leg in his jaws while the man passes out in a pool of blood. I wonder, whatever did happen in the moment after his leg got torn off and before he succumbed to blood loss? But you're just an inept little kid, who's 'tried his best'."
At least Timmy has the excuse of being a child and getting distracted in his drawings by the thought of what his booger would taste like if he snorted a Pixie Stick before tucking in to it. Anime companies and their many (why?) employees don't have the luxury of saying, "Look, I done a drawing. Ain't it swell?"
No, it's not swell. It's a pile of rubbish that should be shredded, doused with gasoline and given a Viking funeral along with its animator.
It's all about money, obviously. Less motion per frame, means less animation, means fewer artists, means less money being spent by "The Company". Therefore, a bigger bonus for the pencil pushing nerd of a CEO and his cohorts in this heinous crime.
Remember when you could watch a cat look up in horror, as an anvil came toward him at terminal velocity? You don't even have to slow it down to see that split second look of agony, followed by another short grimace of pain as the anvil lands on it, again followed by the body falling through a hole that slowly cracks, splinters and opens, allowing the cat to fall to the basement. That's animation. Amine's version if that same scenario? Cat looks up and is sees anvil, does a bizarre movement that leaves the only thing actually moving as sweat shooting from its head. Then at the crucial moment, we see the same dumb look on its friends and only hear a crashing noise. Scene ends with a look back at a hole in the floor and a protruding cat head surrounded by swirly lines and stars.
So here's to you, youth of today, for falling hook, line and sinker for this garbage. Congratulations. You've made cartoon television unwatchable.
If you wish to complain about today's rant, don't bother. 1) you're probably not capable of putting full thoughts together into one solid complaint and 2) your mom probably is at work and can't take you to the post office to buy a stamp or give you the password of the day to log on to send an e-mail.
Hoity-Toity Poetry Contest
We got submissions! To be fair, a few submissions may have been coerced, but we have our four winners (published below). Vote for your favorite in the Harvest Moon
forum. Without further ado:
- Limerick #1
Ar'catus the hero has love
Despite his bright lightning-caused glow
For his sig' otter
The trader's daughter
And beer which will cure any blow.
- Limerick #2
There once was a man from the sticks
who wanted to write limericks
and he never tried
but, before he died,
he jotted this down really quick.
- Limerick #3
I cannot find my pants, woe is me!
Where they are I have no way to see.
I am feeling my hair...
Could there be something there?
They're on top of my head, golly gee!
- Limerick #4
There was a dust bunny named Sneezy
Who swung on the flying trapezey.
As he flew through the air,
He choked on a hair,
And from then on poor Sneezy was wheezy.
As promised, the winner will be publicly lauded and showered with adoration and their work, of course, will be posted in the forum for all to see. Good luck!
Over the Moon
The Weekly Harvest Quiz
You can’t win if you don’t play!
How to play:
- Each week, there will be four “questions” posted here (and only here) in the Weekly Harvest. Answers to the questions can be found in the wiki, on the HM web site, in the forums or will be math/logic-based.
- Your “answers” must be in question form (a-la Jeopardy!).
- Answers must be submitted via the Harvest Moon Forum. Answers only, please! Don’t give away the questions to non-WH readers.
- The first god/dess to get all four questions right will win four (4) charges and be automatically entered to play in the Over the Moon Championship, held monthly on Palringo (yes, you’ll need to join Pal to play).
- The winner of the OtM Championship (to be based on a different game show each month) will receive 45 charges!!
This week’s Answers:
- This is the name of the upcoming Harvest Moon-only Tournament.
- This is the maximum length of characters in a motto.
- A god with 0 IQ and Gratitude points gets 50 game content ideas approved, then 50 grammar corrections approved, then 50 ER edits approved, and then tries to do one conversion of IQ points to gratitude points. Assuming the god has no gratitude points from other sources, this is the number of gratitude points the god has now.
- True or False: When a hero decides to cancel the current quest while fighting a monster, the hero leaves the fight and returns to town immediately.
Congratulations to last week’s winner: Kaam Dev who will be joining Royal Highness , Godofbeer and Varza in this month’s Championship round. Who will be the final entrant in this month’s finals? It could be you! See you in the forum! Good luck!