A Beginner’s Guide to the Wiki
“Now GodWiki has 1,016 articles, and gods are continuing their divine work, enriching Godville's annals with the threads of their ingenious creations.” Overwhelming much? Well, it certainly can be. Especially if you are computer literate like I was. But, after over a year of diving head first into the wiki, I have come to love it like a fresh kitty sammich.
There is a Godville Wiki set of rules which I recommend everyone read before they begin, but here are some more suggestions and helpful hints for beginer gods:
- Don't try this on your phone. I can't stress enough how frustrating it is, even for pro wiki masters, trying to create new article on the phone can be. Use the computer, give yourself plenty of time to relax and just roam around the wiki world. There is plenty to see before getting your feet wet.
- If you don't know, ask for help. There are plenty of players who love to wiki and love to help. Browse the recent changes tab as a quick way to view those who have been on recently and see their works. Some HMers into wiki are Dr. Frank, me (HP4M) and Zeerty. Ask us anything! If we don't know the answer, we know who does.
- The preview button is your friend. As to not update, save, delete, update, save, delete in perpetuity, plan your page, update, preview, fix errors, preview, save. Try doing as much as you can in each update as to not clog up the recent changes with 50 things from you (personal pet peeve).
- There are lists upon lists of things that need wiki attention and artifacts are an easy and fun place to start. Here is the list of artifacts - the red ones need pages. Follow this basic guideline for help.
- When in doubt, copy/paste and change the details. Sometimes what you see on another page looks so cool that you just have to have that layout on your page, too. You want it, but as a beginner, the wiki formatting might as well be a foreign language. No fear! Click the “edit” button on their page, copy their formatting, paste it to yours and repeat! Change the picture and the words to fit your subject but keep the confusing formatting. Note: don’t “save changes” to their page without permission, just close it or back out.
Most importantly: have fun!
For further wiki help:
At Home with Bella Stewart
| Advice from the Mavin of the Macabre, the Mistress of Mystery, our very own Empress: Bellatrixie The Strange!
Some of you may have wondered where I was last week. Well, Frank and I decided to switch off every other week, so I was having great time at the Harvest Moon Day Spa getting an alignment adjustment, bloodbath, concrete body pack, and full hornicure. You really should try it - those evil gnomes have magic fingers and toes! Anyway, this week, we go back to the mailbag and answer a question from one of our readers!
I spent a day shopping around for old storage lockers. I finally got one and found that it was full of shrunken heads! I love the way they look, but after making a few martini glasses I am lost for finding other uses for them. Please, Bella, what else can I do with my shrunken heads?
My dear reader, what a spectacular find! And as we enter into spring, I can think of loads of ways to use them! For example:
- St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner. Time to frighten the neighborhood kiddies! Put little green hats on the heads and hang them on your front door with a sign reading, "Naughty Leprechauns"
- Another St. Patty's idea: After your friends have already had a few, surreptitiously slip a shrunken head into their green beer and challenge them to a chugging contest.
- Easter is coming! Decorate the heads with bunny ears, paint them lovely colors and have a shrunken head hunt, race your friends across the yard with a head on a spoon, have a shrunken head roll!
- Get out the badminton racquets and bat the heads over the net.
- Glue a candle to the tops of the heads and hang by their hair around the terrace for festive patio lighting.
- In autumn we bob for apples. Start a new spring tradition of bobbing for heads!
- How about a friendly backyard game of T-head?
- Learn to juggle!
- Make lovely dangly earrings.
- Replace those boring old doorknobs with something truly unique.
- Bonk your hero on the head with one after pinning a note to it that says, "My last hero, who wouldn't listen."
Next week: It depends on how inspired I feel...so send in your questions!
Get To Know a Deity
Here we sit down weekly with a Harvest Moon warrior and find out what makes them tick. This week’s Deity is: Starryshine 庙畜
So cute, she’s gotta be eeeeevil!
- Q: What song do you love to dance to?
- A: Moves Like Jagger
- Q: What GV pet would you like to have?
- A: Godville administrator! XD Not sure if it’s available as a pet...
- Q: Do you get emotional using Encourage when in times of crisis?
- A: I certainly used to. It was painful having to use it, haha.
- Q: What are your heroine's marketable skills?
- A: My heroine's best skill is called regenerative liver, it keeps her alive!
- Q: Do you have any hidden talents?
- A: I'm easily amused, it's a little sad at times. No one else gets why I suddenly burst into laughter.
If you have a burning question for Harvest Moon's Deities, please submit them to the staff. Thank you!
Famous HM Heroes This Week
|#793 GODVILLE TIMES Day 1035 g.e.
|Lol Buddy – 66th-level adventurer, member of the “Harvest Moon” guild, with the motto “Moon of the Night Sky ☾”, stands at the 181st position in the pantheon of gladiatorship under the vigilant supervision of the god Zeerty . The heroine has no distinctive features to date; however, she promises to get some before her next appearance.
Member of the Week
Get to know a newer member of Harvest Moon! This week's guest is: Nekomancer
Don’t panic! Kitties are for sammiches... just not that
- Q: How did you choose HM?
- A: Well, it was actually an accident.. but to summarize: I stumbled across the guild's HQ and thought it looked interesting, so here I am. xD
- Q: Where does your hero hide his coin purse?
- A: He hides it in his pants. No, not there. It’s at his right thigh.
- Q: Name some things that you and your hero have in common.
- A: Well, we're both random, easily distracte- hey a bat! Come here you! ...as I was saying... easily distracted, and according to Somnias Vagus , a friend of mine who's in the guild Breadsticks, we're both sadistic. :D
- Q: What advice would you give a newer player?
- A: Just have fun! It’s fine if you want to keep your hero neutral or turn him/her into a saint, but if you want to turn him/her awesomely evil, don't be afraid to punish him/her. He/she will still worship you even if you punish him/her 3 times a day (like I do! xD)
- Q: What toppings do you like on your kitten sammiches?
- A: Hmm.. It's hard to choose.. I'm fine with anything I guess. I'm not picky as long as I have my kitties. :D
- Q: Where would your hero go on their first date...assuming they ever get one?
- A: He'll go to three places: Beerburgh (for the beer), Tradeburg (he loves spending money), and as a desperate attempt to get his date to stay, Last Resort as, well, his last resort. xD
What would you like to know about your Harvest Moon guild mates? Submit your questions to any member of the Weekly Harvest staff!
|Selling Evil Since Day 898 g.e.
|FOR SALE: One used and slightly abused Belt. Built ready made for spanking. Call 555-SHAZ-ZAM for more info.
FOR SALE: A case of the Mondays. Will pay somebody to take them. Call YME-YME-WINE
WANTED: Test subjects for new stupid idea vaccine. Are your ideas getting a constant votes of “no” or “dupe”? Contact Mistress of Science now for a vial of stupid idea vaccine!
AUCTION: Antique puppy mill. Look all fancy while putting ground up puppy on your kitty sammich! Stop by the Harvest Moon kitchen to place your bid!
FREE: Will deliver,
real live not real puppies... too cute defective for evil use. Contact IAM-ADO-GESS
SERVICES: Your local milk delivery specialist now offering milk! Delivered pasteurized or just up to your ankles. Call HP-MOON-MILK
WANTED: Looking for something to do when not punishing your hero? Think you have the smallest bit of creativity? Or think you have none at all? The Weekly Harvest is looking for staff. Contact Hairplug4men , Doctor Frank-n-furter or Bellatrixie The Strange for information. Whether you're extroverted and want credit for stuff you didn't do, or introverted and want us to take the credit for you, all gods and goddesses welcome!
Over the Moon
The Weekly Harvest Quiz
Games and winners and prizes! Oh, my!
How to play:
- Each week, there will be four “questions” posted here (and only here) in the Weekly Harvest. Answers to the questions can be found in the wiki, on the HM web site, in the forums or will be math/logic-based.
- Your “answers” must be in question form (a-la Jeopardy!).
- Answers must be submitted via the Harvest Moon Forum. Answers only, please! Don’t give away the questions to non-WH readers.
- The first god/dess to get all four questions right will win four (4) charges and be automatically entered to play in the Over the Moon Championship, held monthly on Palringo (yes, you’ll need to join Pal to play).
- The winner of the OtM Championship (to be based on a different game show each month) will receive 45 charges!!
This week’s Answers:
Tip: One of these questions is extremely tricky. If you don't know trickiness, then your answer is probably wrong.
- This is the name of the shape that McDonald's Chicken Nuggets come in.
- The developers recognize this game for making a zero-player game before them.
- This god is on the first page of the storytelling pantheon and has chronicle formatting tips in his chronicles.
- Nix Wang just recently completed a shiny new temple. A hundred birds are milling around in front of his temple, all one foot from each other in a square pattern. Nix Wang fires a magical spell at the center bird that kills everything within a radius of three feet from the center with a deafening boom that can be heard all the way in Bumchester. This is the number of birds still in front of his temple.
Congratulations to last week’s winner Godofbeer ! Who will meet him in the next Championship? It could be you! See you in the forum!
|If this announcement were any more special, there’d have to be two announcements just to contain its specialness!
...Yeah, just joshin’ ya. We got nothin’.
Have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!