Skills are heroines's special abilities they can learn and use on their journeys. Goddesses have strictly no influence on both the learning and the use of those skills by their champions.
There are three types of skills:
- Combat Skills used during battle
- Trade Skills used at the counter in a shop
- Transportation skills used while traveling
Follow this link to see the complete List of Skills.
A skill gets more powerful as its level increases, and heroines may use that skill more often.
How to get
The first skill heroines learn is acquired at level 15. For every 3 levels thereafter, they might learn a new skill, but it is not guaranteed, up to a maximum of 10 skills. Sometimes, they may randomly exchange one skill for another skill of the same level but not necessarily of the same category. This can happen during healing, with an occasional payment of gold to the hero, or during any trading occasion.
Swap during healing
Swap during trading
All skills have a level, which dictates the potency of the skill. These levels will increase over time via two different means:
- In a town, by spending approximately 500 x the skill level to be attained gold coins.
- Upgrading it for free through practice. Many believe this is a cumulative process, but occasional instances of the same skill being upgraded twice in rapid succession suggest that there is instead a random chance of the skill being upgraded each time it is used.
Combat skills are rather straightforward. Straight in the face of the heroines' foes, whether they are monsters or other heroines. Using those skills, the adventurers may do extra damage to their opponent and may even steal a little portion of their health.
As with any attack, heroines may fail when trying to use a skill, missing their opponent or damaging both fighters in the process.
Similarly to the other skills, Goddesses and Gods have no influence on the uses of combat skills in battles. Combat skills give no advantage in the arena — just like any other kind of attack, heroines and heroes may or may not use them, with the same chance of success and damage regardless of level.
Heroines can use their Trade skills when dealing with traders, either in towns or with travelling merchants. Those sneaky traders often manage to rip off the unsuspecting adventurers so this type of skill is quite handy for such occasions.
percentage of discount/premium = 30 + level of skill
Cost-benefit analysis of upgrade
The "benefits" of upgrading a trading skill are almost invariably not worth the training costs. While the 31 percent increase in loot yield of obtaining the first level has its merits (especially since it's free), the increase to level 2 is only 0.76% higher. Thus, at level 2, a hero would have to sell items worth 131,000 at base value in order to break even with the 1,000 gold of training cost versus staying at level 1. In other words, it is quite unlikely for your hero to have recovered the costs of training previous level before paying to upgrade again.
Conceivably, by skill level 10, a hero may have to sell a completed temple's weight in gold to justify the amount spent on tuition for each increase! (See table below)
|Level||Additional cost to obtain level||Yield increase||Additional sales to break-even vs. unskilled||Additional sales to justify last upgrade||Cumulative sales to recover last upgrade in gold bricks|
Of course, there is no way to stop your hero from "investing" in their skills other than to keep the amount of coins in hand low, such as by converting gold coins into gold bricks via encouragement before they can spend it. Moreover, having a trading skill is probably still better than not having one at all, as demonstrated by the third column. Furthermore, purchasing is not the only way to level up skills.
The Transportation skills (also referred as Transport) are no good for fighting, trading, or gold brick making. These skills instead allow heroines to jump from milestone to milestone like a flea on steroids. These skills can be especially useful for times when champions have to go back a long distance to heal, get a new quest, or simply drop off their loot.
Normally, heroines progress by one milestone every minute or so. With those skills, adventurers can go past many of those pesky milestones in a shorter time. This greatly reduces the time spent on the dangerous roads of Godville.
Notes & References
- Assuming the admins design the game fairly, the formula for should be as discount price = normal price / ( 1 + (30 + skill level ) / 100 ). By the multiplicative property of equality, this formula would result buying skills being equally beneficial selling skills at any level. If instead the formula were discount price = normal price * (1 - (30 + skill level)/100)) then a hero with a discount level of 70 could theoretically buy all items for free (under the former formula, a level 70 buying skill would equal to a 50% discount).
- 0.0076 = 1.32/1.31 - 1