Difference between revisions of "Arena"
m (→Arena Duels: Corrected "After step 50 damage goes up and healing goes down" to "Starting with Step 60 and every 30 steps thereafter, damage and healing double")
m (→Attack Words: Updated to include two more trigger words. (Alphabetized listed commands for lazier trigger additions in future))
|Line 84:||Line 84:|
, , , , , and .
Revision as of 04:20, 25 March 2013
The Arena, officially known as "The Glorious Death-pit," is a world-renowned amphitheatre located in the heart of Godville. For ten millennia, gladiators have stepped into the arena to demonstrate that battle skills, thrill the crowd, and claim fame and glory. The centuries-old gladiator battles still live on today, yet unlike previous uncivilized times, a losing gladiator is never mortally wounded--often much to dismay of the crowd.
- 1 Sending a Hero to the Arena
- 2 Level Matching in the Arena
- 3 Arena Duels
- 4 Arena Fighting Tips
- 5 The Results - Winners, Losers, and Ties
- 6 Skirmish Free for 3 Days
Sending a Hero to the Arena
The “Send to Arena” command is available if all of these conditions are met:
- The Hero is at least level 10
- The God has at least 75% of godpower
- The Arena is open for public fights (sometimes it may be closed down for cleaning it up from broken teeth and refreshing the paint)
- The hero's last fight in the arena was more than 4 hours ago
A god can send their hero to the arena by using the “Send to Arena” button on their remote control. This command instantly teleports your hero to the arena using 75% godpower. During teleportation, the hero's health is restored to 100% and "discovers" a few of artifacts, sometimes even a gold brick.
After being teleported to the arena, a hero will search for an appropriate opponent for 17 minutes. If the hero finds an opponent, a duel will occur.
If a hero cannot find an appropriate opponent after 17 minutes, no fight will occur. Sometimes, a hero's reputation will prevent a fight by scaring-off potential opponents. This often results in an empty arena and some very disappointed spectators; particularly those who paid a premium for the seats near the body bag stacking section. Even though a hero could not find an opponent, the hero may be rewarded with a golden brick or even some gold as a compensation for getting his gear on, oiling his leather, sharpening his sword, and turning up his game face. However, angry mobs, who missed seeing a good ole' slaying, have been known to outvote the Godville Administrator's benevolence so the hero receives nothing, but teleportation to the capital-- which is not too shabby.
Level Matching in the Arena
|Hero Level||Opponent Hero Level||Notes|
|Levels 10 - 13||Exact same level only||-|
|Level 14||0 levels below and 1 level above||Levels 14 or 15|
|Level 15||1 level below and 1 level above||Levels 14 - 16|
|Levels 16 and 17||1 level below and 2 levels above||-|
|Level 18||2 levels below and 2 levels above||Levels 16 - 20|
|Level 19||2 levels below and 3 levels above||Levels 17 - 22|
|Levels 20 - 29||4 levels below and 4 levels above||-|
|Level 30||4 levels below and 5 levels above||Levels 26 - 35|
|Levels 31 - 44||5 levels below and 5 levels above||-|
|Levels 45 - 50||5 levels below and 6 levels above||After level 44, the ranges are confusing and these details are uncertain.|
|Levels 51 - 62||6 levels below and 7 levels above|
|Levels 63 and above||7 levels below and 7 levels above|
If a hero finds an appropriate opponent, a normal duel will ensue between the two heroes. As in all duels, god controls are locked during the first two minutes of a fight (though gods can still restore godpower during this time).
During every round after the first two minutes, a god may send one voice command and one action (an encourage, punish, or miracle), but gods who use miracles in the arena are considered total douche bags (see action section below).
While duels do not have a time or round (known as steps) limit, after 60 steps, healing and damage done will double to prevent overly long duels. After 90 steps, the damage and healing are amplified yet another level. For every 30 steps thereafter, damage and healing amplify, confirmed up to 150 steps by testing.
Arena Fighting Tips
Each gladiator has a different style of fighting. Accordingly, this section is only intended to serve as an extremely general guide. Really, the only purpose of this section is to prevent someone from looking like a total noob.
- If you are a non-payer, only send your hero to the arena when you have 3 or more charges and 100% godpower.
- Do not restore godpower until after the fight begins. During the first two minutes of the fight, gods cannot send voice commands or actions, but they can restore godpower. Restoring godpower while a hero is waiting for a partner is a waste of a charge if the hero does not find another hero to fight.
- Research your opponent. Check their arena fight history and find out who they have beaten and lost against. Check their alignment. It may provide you with some insight to their fighting style. If a hero has a "pure good!" personality, the hero's god could be less likely to punish. Similarly, if a hero is "pure evil!" hero's god could be less likely to encourage.
- Never take an arena record for granted. It can be anybody behind that account. Some gods have alternative accounts. Some gods rarely go to the arena, but are still very skilled fighters.
- If possible, never end a turn with less than 30 godpower. This will allow you to use a voice command and an during action the next round, if necessary.
- Have patience! Duels can last a long time.
- DON'T PANIC. No hero has ever died in the arena.
Voice Commands (VCs)
- Voice commands cost 5% godpower.
- There is only a 30% chance a hero will react to a voice command. The other 70% of the time, the hero will just ignore it. Do not get discouraged if a hero ignores most voice commands.
- Do not mix types of voice commands (for example, do not give a voice command saying "rest, smite, pray"). If a god wants to heal a hero, give all heal voice commands. If a god wants a hero to attack, give all attack voice commands.
- Voice commands will never backfire and damage a god's hero or heal an opponent, but actions can.
There are three types of voice commands a god can use in the arena: healing words, attack words, and pray words. Below are a list of confirmed voice commands. Some of them also work in normal game play.
Drink, wounds, heal, restore, rest, and rejuvenate.
Attack, hit, kick, punch, smash, smite, strike, and trample.
Pray, praise, give, donate, and sacrifice.
Actions (Encourage, Punish, and Miracle)
- Actions cost 25% godpower.
- As in normal gameplay, an encourage will generally heal a hero and a punish will generally provide a hero with additional fighting power.
- While fighting in the arena, divide a hero's total health into thirds. If the hero's health is below 1/3rd, do not be afraid of using an encourage. Similarly, if a hero's health is over 2/3rds, do not be afraid of using a punish. Remember, alignment is temporary, but losses are permanent.
- Always be cautious when using an action because they have a 25% chance of backfiring.
- Punish only when a hero has enough health points to withstand a potential backfire.
- Once an action backfire occurs, a god can send about 2 to 4 actions before another backfire occurs.
- Do not go wild with the punish and encourage actions. In every duel, a god can only give 4 more actions than an opponent. Once that happens, the god is "action locked" and cannot use an action until the opponent uses an action.
- Do not make a miracle in the arena. Making miracles in the arena is rude, a faux pas, and will make other gods mad. Other gods may also talk stink about you, write your name on their wiki page, and even unfriend you. Do not do it. Take a loss with dignity. Plus, miracles don't help a hero win; they only steal godpower or experience points. Using a miracle during the last few rounds, when defeat is imminent, is considered extremely poor sportsmanship.
The Results - Winners, Losers, and Ties
Following an arena fight, both heroes will remain on whatever health points they had at the end of the duel.
The winning hero receives several prizes:
- A Gold brick
- A significant amount of Experience
- All the Gold from the loser's pocket
- A win added to their duel record
- Their god gets their Godpower restored to 100% and an extra charge gets added to their Godpower Accumulator
Arena fights are never lethal; a hero cannot be killed in a duel here. However, the loser will receive a few forfeits:
- Lose all their gold (may be given back a small amount for healing supplies) ;
- Be stuck on low health after the duel (and their god stuck with their remaining godpower);
- A loss added to their duel record.
If, per chance, a round ends with both heroes at 1 hit point, a tie will be announced, but a judge will determine the nominal winner though a coin flip. When a winner is selected this way, the win/loss record of both heroes will not be affected.
Skirmish Free for 3 Days
Following a trip to the arena, a hero will not get into a skirmish for three days. After the third day though, he will get bored and the call of the arena will beckon him to fight. He will then start looking for other heroes he can jab with his weapon, and eventually, right in the middle of his travels while on a quest, he will get into a skirmish. According to legend, the call of the arena is louder for evil heroes and, after three days of not visiting the arena, will tend to get into skirmishes sooner than good heroes.