This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Pets article.
From what I've heard, there are three main traits to pets in this game so far, rideable, fighting, and healing. Fetching items may or may not be a fourth. I only listed rideable, as that is confirmable with the iOS app, which says if a pet is rideable or not. My Dandy Lion, however, never heals my hero, so I'm pretty sure the others are yes or no as well. Could be interesting to add those columns, but a lot more data is needed. --Epoch 15:58, 18 September 2012 (BST)
I wouldn't mind a Feral Hero being a pet, seeing as they're incapable of much else. That would be quite fun. --Saphanon
Level ranges for pets are larger for those who have completed an ark. So I'm not sure the level range table really makes sense in its current form. My suggestion is to split level range into 2 columns - one for pre-ark (essentially the data which is currently there), and another for post-ark (which as far as I know, is not at all well-understood). But as more people complete their arks and tame pets outside the pre-ark range, I'm afraid they will update the table accordingly, making it misleading for pretty much everyone. --Apathanos 23:27, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
My hero is currently level 80 (about to hit 81) and just tamed a terror bull. Here is a link to my hero if you'd like to verify it: https://godvillegame.com/gods/Viola%20Rosaline - I am post-ark so maybe that has something to do with your theory Apathanos.
Pets information is all over the place
At the moment, pets information is spread all over the wiki. We have:
- This page, Pets, which has some miscellaneous info, the list of pets, and:
- A sub-heading that (essentially) just links out to a page Pet names
- A sub-heading that (essentially) just links out to a page Pet Personalities, with a passing mention of features (which are called abilities in the list immediately above)
- A sub-heading that (essentially) directs you to an afterthought section of the hero resurrection page for information on
- A heading that describes uses of pets, including some more information about the
- Information about the Animist Medal, which is great ( Idea: why is there no page explaining all the medals?)
- Some diary entries, okay, sure.
So, information about the topic of pets is spread across, if my count is right:
"So why not just fix it, Djonni?"
I'm not honestly sure of the best way to fix this, or even how much should be "fixed". It just seems really messy like this. Maybe all or some of these steps:
- Merge the information from the Pet names and Pet Personalities pages into this page, into mw-collapsible (and mw-collapsed) tables so you don't end up scrolling forever, with redirects from original locations to the relevant section headers. This would work fine on desktop, but mw-collapsible is ignored on mobile
- Merge knocked out & revival information here, where it obviously should be, and simply a note in Resurrection saying it's moved
- An overall fairly heavy rewrite/restructure of this page in general
- Afterthought: is there some clever way to use transclusion, or partial (noinclude, includeonly?) here? The more I think about this, the more I lean towards "no", but putting it down for later mulling.--Djonni (talk) 11:04, 22 May 2018 (UTC)
- Oh, and I completely forgot about Pet Levels but... I'll be honest, that should really just stay where it is. --Djonni (talk) 11:16, 22 May 2018 (UTC)
- I think that merging the entire pet section of the Resurrection page in the Pet page would be a bit too much — more than a half of the entire page is actually just about reviving pets. I also think that it deserves a rewrite as well, to make it less confused and more readable — there is a lot of repeating or just irrelevant information in there.
- Yeah, looking at it again today you're right that there's a lot of text in the pet revival & tips sections of Resurrection. I still think firmly that that's not the right place for it, but I'm tending to agree with you that neither is this. Your suggestion for a Pet revival tips page could be right. And yeah, you're right, much of that text needs a lot of red ink.
- I also note that today's edition of Godville Times features the Pet Personalities page that I'm so determined to remove. Maybe (partial?) transclusion isn't such a terrible approach after all, leaving the original page where it is. Perhaps the introductory paragraph at Pet Personalities gets rewritten so that it can be <transcludonly>'d into Pet names, maybe even Pets? I'm going transclusion mad I tell you, mad.
- I dunno, I'm a little tired. But you're definitely right that all that text from resurrection can't go here, and can't stay there. I keep finding random Talk pages where people are asking questions about pets, pet mechanics, personalities, revival, etc, so it's really clear to me that how all this information is currently held in the wiki is not serving its audience adequately. --Djonni (talk) 12:23, 23 May 2018 (UTC)
- Well, so far I made the Knocked out and unconscious pet section a level two heading. I also added the basic information from the Resurrection page, along with some other things I noticed the last time my hero revived his pet. I’m also going to try to move all the relevant information from the resurrection page into its own page, and go through it to make it more concise and useful. Not sure when though, I got other stuff I should be doing instead. ;)
- As for the Pet Names and Pet Personalities, I don’t think the Pet Personalities page needs to be necessarily removed. Merging those two together seems like a hell of a list. But I do agree that it’s a bit illogical for those two to be completely separate. I’d suggest to maybe write a mention of the other one in both introductory paragraphs, maybe even put a transclusion there. Although I have no idea how exactly should such transclusion work… --Terezka (talk) 15:31, 23 May 2018 (UTC)
- So, I think I managed to seperate the Strategies for Pet Healing from the Resurrection page successfully. Hopefully there are no loose ends left.