Box with a question mark
|Box with a question mark|
|Description||You all know what it looks like.|
|Cost||50% of godpower|
|Effect||Affect in a good or a bad way (Black boxes)|
The Box with a question mark was probably born when some shady trader decided to prey on our heroes' gullibility.
Not many people considered this artifact as special but when a chubby Italian plumber began his quest to save his girlfriend from a giant turtle, everyone saw what the artifact did, and boy were they amazed! Since they saw him grow in size and strength by eating the box's contents, all of the heroines began searching for these boxes.
Unfortunately, the box worked differently for the heroines, probably because it was not used to being carried away in a bag by scruffy little good-for-nothings. It seems the effects differ for all heroes as indicated below.
Example of use
This item can affect your hero in a good or bad way (requires 50% of godpower to activate this item)
There are many possible outcomes of activating a Box with a question mark.[N 1]
- Positive outcomes include finding the following inside:
- Gold coins (around 100-9926, though more than 9926 gold coins have been discovered)
- Golden bricks (usually one, but up to three have been discovered)
- A notarized document stating that the hero has died fewer times than thought, which reduces a hero’s death count by one or two, and increases your position in the pantheon of survival
- A scroll with instructions for a premature level up, which immediately increases the level of the hero by one
- Nothing, but a hero gains experience points (around 3000) in the process
- Tribbles, which are released into the hero's inventory
- Negative outcomes include:
- Finding a notarized death certificate inside, which increases a hero's death count by one, and reduces your position in the pantheon of survival
- Finding a note inside stating that some of the hero's experience points were achieved by dishonest means, which reduces the hero's experience points
- Releasing a spiteful gremlin from inside the item that will steal about half of the hero's gold coins
- Nothing happening. If your hero has not completed their temple, the annoyed hero tries to break the Box with a question mark with a golden brick resulting in the loss of the item and the golden brick. If the temple is complete, nothing happens but the loss of the artifact and expenditure of godpower.
Overall, positive effects are much more likely than negative effects.
|"Black Box" Activatable Artifacts|
|Box with a question mark • Continuum transfunctioner • Davy Jones’ locker • Deus ex machina • Dimensional destabilizer • Improbability drive • Mystery box • Pandora's box • Wonderbox|