If you've come to join us through your own choice, you should have noticed that we're very heavy on roleplaying in the forums. The following section is dedicated to our various rules and guides to a single element of the game: combat. No one likes to have their characters defeated in battle, but sometimes there will be an opponent that you will not be able to beat. We encourage sparring matches between guild members before playing out the scene in the forum, unless it should be evident who the winner would be -- although this is up to those involved in the duel and should be discussed privately (or in the Guild Council) before hand.
To establish limits on what our characters are able to do, we first of all encourage the creation of a character that isn't all powerful. Even those of us that play our preternatural deities should limit their powers. To emphisize this, we're working on a system based on a hero(ines) raw Godville stats. On your hero page, you will find a list of your hero(ines) skills. These are categorized into three subgroups: trade, travel, and combat. Those that do not have such abilities are advised to stick to mundane combat abilities.
Trade & Travel
For each individual skill under these categories, the character is alloted one specialization in the Magic category. Certain exemptions will be allowed, and should be noted in a players chronicles.
For each individual skill under this category, the character is alloted one specialization in a form of Technique, listed below.
Belonging to one of seven (7) schools of elemental mastery, each member can only select one element to specialize in per skill they possess.
- Pyromancy: The control and manipulation of fire, either created or natural. Users of this element are cautioned to be aware of its erratic nature -- backlashes can and will happen.
- Aquamancy: The control and manipulation of water, and other forms of liquids. Whole rather weak at low levels, higher levels can manipulate blood.
- Aeromancy: The control and manipulation of air, either natural or created. It takes a certain creativity to make the most of this sphere.
- Geomancy: The control and manipulation of earth matter, rocks and natural formations. Users of this sphere are known for their deep patience.
- Astral: Restricted to those of divine backgrounds, astral magic is the unrestricted access to the energies of another plane and the knowledge of how to manipulate and control said power.
- Infernal: The control and manipulation of fear and shadows. Although restricted to demons and the like, there may be exceptions.
- Divine: Only Gods & Goddesses can access these spheres. They are much like their standard influences that can inflict either good or ill to their desired targets.
Divination spells enable you to learn secrets long forgotten, to predict the future, to find hidden things, and to foil deceptive spells.
Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behavior. All enchantments are mind-affecting spells that can either charm or possibly subjegate victims to your will.
- Keep in mind that these spells usually fail against higher leveled beings, and that all beings have some natural resistence to being enchanted.
A figment spell creates a false sensation. Those who perceive the figment perceive the same thing, not their own slightly different versions of the figment. (It is not a personalized mental impression.) Figments cannot make something seem to be something else. A figment that includes audible effects cannot duplicate intelligible speech unless the spell description specifically says it can. If intelligible speech is possible, it must be in a language you can speak. If you try to duplicate a language you cannot speak, the image produces gibberish. Likewise, you cannot make a visual copy of something unless you know what it looks like.
A glamour spell changes a subject’s sensory qualities, making it look, feel, taste, smell, or sound like something else, or even seem to disappear.
A phantasm spell creates a mental image that usually only the caster and the subject (or subjects) of the spell can perceive. This impression is totally in the minds of the subjects. It is a personalized mental impression. (It’s all in their heads and not a fake picture or something that they actually see.) Third parties viewing or studying the scene don’t notice the phantasm. All phantasms are mind-affecting spells.
A shadow spell creates something that is partially real from extra-dimensional energy. Such illusions can have real effects. Damage dealt by a shadow illusion is real.
- Disbelief: Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not recognize it as such until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.
Necromancy spells manipulate the power of death, unlife, and the life force. Spells involving undead creatures make up a large part of this school.
Transmutation spells physically change the properties of some creature, thing, or condition. These alterations are usually quite permanent and are depenant on the caster.