Boss Monster Update
The four newest boss abilities explained By: Doctor Frank-n-furter
In case you haven’t heard, our not-so-friendly boss neighbors have learned new abilities to enhance and thwart your “get rich quick” digging scheme.
All bosses, whether found at the end of a mini-quest, called with an artifact, or dug up while questing, may have 0-3 abilities. A quick recap of the previous ones:
- Auriferous - Creates gold; converts random stones, artifacts, and the heroes' blood into gold. Most allies would prefer to keep this one alive for maximum gold reward.
- Deafening - Cancels out ALL voice commands.
- Faithless - Immune to Punishes. Bonus: also immune to Encourage backfires.
- Hulking - Monster has more health points than usual.
- Leeching - Will steal health points from Encourages.
- Nimble - Monster can hit twice in one turn as well as attack out of turn.
- Pickpocket - Steals items from the heroes to add to its inventory; eats items to heal.
- Squandering - Eats gold and items. Kill quickly for maximum reward.
- Summoning - Calls in mini version of itself to aid it in battle. Mini has no abilities.
- Sweeping – Can hit all heroes at once.
The four new ones are a tad more complex than those that preceded them:
- Enlightened - This bad boy has pros and cons. The negative: can reflect Punish damage back onto the hero. Much like Leeching shares health from an Encourage, this one shares the pain of the Punish with the hero. The positive: All survivors will get their godpower refilled to 100% at end of fight.
- Explosive - damages all heroes when defeated. To avoid being taken out at the end, keep your health above 30%.
- Skilled - Much like the auriferous creates gold throughout the fight, this one creates artifacts. They can convert items in their own inventory, create them from nothing, or create them using the hero’s blood. Note: if the new artifact is created from an existing item, the monster will throw away the unused parts, damaging all heroes; if the item is created from nothing, the monster heals itself a bit, and if it’s created by biting a hero, that particular hero is damaged. Unlike the Auriferous, most allies aren’t as excited at the prospect of this one staying alive for 100+ steps.
- Sneaky - Flees the battle if not killed in time. Good news: he’s not as sneaky as you may think! He gives a warning (looks for an exit) a few steps before fleeing allowing the surviving heroes to band together to take him down. If he escapes, there is no reward (no gold, no artifacts) for any of the heroes.
There you have them, folks! Four new boss abilities in a nutshell. Happy hunting!
At Home with Bella Stewart
| Advice from the Mavin of the Macabre, the Mistress of Mystery, our very own Empress: Bellatrixie The Strange! Errr... Hairplug4men, standing in for Bellatrixie The Strange!
Bellatrixie has been given the night off due to “Sacrificial Ceremonies” so I have stepped into her shoes to offer my decorating and craft ideas. Yes, I like crafts. You may not know this, but my entire bed is built from popsicle sticks. I am also responsible for all of the still-standing outhouses behind the HM headquarters... So, let’s begin.
I hate my pet, Bellatrixie! The stupid Dust Bunny is always behaving, looking cute or just in general being a goody goody! My evil friends have been making fun of me since I got it, and now I hate to even go to the tavern for fear of getting teased! Please help me make this pet more evil or I may never drink again...
Signed: Ivanted A. Centaur
Well, first of all, is it a crime to open someone else’s mail? Because, if so, for the record, I didn't open the above letter, my pet did. See, Ivanted, it's just that easy to make anything around evil: just lie. I mean, I'm not lying, but you could! Unfortunately, you can only make others appear evil since making someone or thing actually evil takes years of focus and random abuse. I don't want to make you wait that long to drink again so what I think you should do is...
- Dye your bunny pitch black. This way he'll be easier to hide in the dark bars.
- Magic marker his eyes neon red. Now, the only part that can be seen clearly by others are two floating red eyes.
- Get him a spiked collar. If he's hiding well enough no one should be able to see it, but I had an ex once who always wore a spiked collar and she was the most evil witch ever, so it can’t hurt.
- Novelty horns. Super glue them to it's body then duct tape for good measure.
These are just a few suggestions. Ultimately, I recommend you just get out your Dust Devil and vacuum that pest up. I think you'd look less wimpy going to the tavern with a vacuum than a Dust Bunny.
Down in the dumps about your home or temple's decor? Send Bellatrixie the Strange (aka Bella Stewart) your questions directly or submit them to any member of the newspaper staff.
Fun with Fiends
Here we sit down periodically with a common opponent (a.k.a. a Godville monster) and find out what’s behind the mask. This week’s fiend is: Beardless Dwarf.
Don’t be fooled by his misleading lack of facial hair.
- Q: Why do you fight heroes?
- A: Isn't it obvious? Can't you see I don't have a beard? My last fake beard got ripped into pieces by a Disgruntled Customer who thought I was a shop clerk in disguise. Fake beards are expensive, often poor quality and terribly itchy. I figured I may just as well make one for free. That's why I need the hair of the heroes.
- Q: Can't you just grow a beard?
- A: Trust me, I've tried, but it won't work. I don't know for sure why, but the doctor has said the hair on my chin might suffer from agoraphobia. I'm still not sure if he was joking.
- Q: Have you tried hair growth products?
- A: Yes, once. Ended up growing a blackberry bush on my chin. Took ages (and some expensive surgery) to get rid of it.
- Q: What is your favorite bar/tavern/etc.?
- A: Actually, I don't really go to that kind of place much. I prefer to go to the hairdresser to pick up some of the hair that falls on the floor. I'm not sure if anyone's noticed yet.
- Q: What tip would you give to younger monsters?
- A: Grow a beard and be happy with it. That applies to heroes as well, if only for me to be able to take it.
At this point, the Bearded Dwarf noticed our interviewers 5 o’clock shadow and, excited by the prospect of facial hair, grabbed him and ran. We hope to have him tracked down and back in the
interrogation interview room (hopefully with his face intact) before next week. If you have a burning question for a Godville monster, or a particular monster you’d like to know more about, submit your questions or ideas to the HMWH staff. Thank you.
- What: Ideabox workshop!
When: NOW! The first workshop is set to begin soon.
Where: Sign up in the Workshop forum thread. Each workshop will be a mix of group work here in the thread and one-on-one interaction via private message (if desired).
Why: The ideabox can seem puzzling and daunting at times. Learn about the experts’ experiences, and turn boxing into something fun! This is an opportunity for anyone to learn about the ideabox from scratch, or to simply find out something new.
- What: Awesome God Friday!
When: Every Friday (hint: that’s why it’s called Awesome God Friday).
Where: The sowing Sun guild forum.
Why: Get to know a bit about a fellow deity in Godville! Someone thinks they’re awesome, you might, too! The recipients (and those who adore them) aren’t a bad way to spend the now-free Invites to Godville you’re saving, either.
Famous HM Heroes This Week
|#927 GODVILLE TIMES Day 1174 g.e.
|Tiggy - 78th-level adventurer, member of the “Harvest Moon” guild, with the motto “It's not fair .....”, stands at the 169th position in the pantheon of mastery under the vigilant supervision of the goddess Tiggilina . All she ever wanted was a little love and affection.
Member of the Week
Get to know a member of Harvest Moon! This week's guest is: Pialphamu
Don’t let the name fool you, this goddess is old skool evil.
- Q: What is your favorite salty snack?
- A: Kitten jerky!
- Q: What song do you love to dance to?
- A: Milkshake, because milkshakes go good with kitten jerky.
- Q: Do you get emotional using Encourage when in times of crisis?
- A: I only do it if I am about to die, then I get mad. :-p
- Q: Do you have any hidden talents?
- A: Getting struck by lightning. Seriously, I've been struck TWICE!!
- Q: If you had to choose between frolicking with butterflies or hugging a puppy, which would you choose and why (death is not an option).
- A: Puppies are awesome, and they eat kitties!!
- Q: What is the most memorable thing your hero has done so far?
- A: Running around naked WAY longer than he had to!
- Q: Of all of the equipment out there, what is your ultimate, dream “outfit” for your hero?
- A: Guy Fawks mask, sword, and NOTHING else!!
- Q: If you had to eat your hero, which part of the body would you tuck into first?
- A: His heart, raw and bloody, fresh out of the body!
- Q: What's the most evil thing your hero has done in your temple?
- A: Put flowers on my altar! Grrrr!!!
What would you like to know about your Harvest Moon guild mates? Submit your questions to any member of the Weekly Harvest staff!'
|Selling Evil Since Day 898 g.e.
|FOR SALE: A walk in the woods is relaxing and peaceful - don’t let dragging a dead hero around get in your way! Out of sight, out of mind with Body Bags by Bob! Now, dispose of rotting corpses with the ease of throwing away the Friday trash! Call 1-900-BAG-NTAG
PERSONAL: Personality <CENSORED> Heroine seeks Hero who shares her love for the Doctor. Other interests: anime/manga, rock ’n roll, long walks on the beach.
FOR SALE: Have you ever found yourself saying “Oh, Lord, my savior, would you do me a favor, I just want a butt like my neighbor’s.” Well wish no more my fellow deities! We bring you Not-A-Knife! The latest in butt-cheek-removal science from the labs of Dr. Frank. This tool comes complete with an ergonomically-correct gripping handle and steel-plated cutting edge. It will slice through even the toughest hindquarters like a knife through butter! When your neighbor asks what you’re doing with that blade, you can say with confidence, “Don’t worry! It’s Not-A-Knife!” Call 1-900-NOT-NIFE today! Call within the next 24 hours, and we’ll give you a second Not-A-Knife for only the cost of shipping and handling.
PERSONAL: Friendly hero seeks kind heroine to compose music with.
WANTED: Used paint for a new bar opening in town. Call: Penny Pincher at Watered Down Suds. 555-LES-BEER
FOR SALE: Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica. 45 volumes. Excellent condition. $1,000 or best offer. No longer needed. Hero got a girlfriend last weekend. Her goddess knows everything! Call LKY-DUCK with offers.
DINNER SPECIAL: This week only at Moose’s Loose Meat Sandwich Joint: Turkey $2.35; Chicken or Beef $2.25; Hero $2.00.
FOR SALE: Used carts! Why go anywhere else to be cheated when you can come here? Visit Freddie’s Friendly Used Carts in Tradeburgh today!
Over the Moon
The Weekly Harvest Quiz
Games and winners and prizes! Oh, my!
How to play:
- Each week, there will be four “questions” posted here (and only here) in the Weekly Harvest. Answers to the questions can be found in the wiki, on the HM web site, in the forums or will be math/logic-based.
- Your “answers” must be in question form (a-la Jeopardy!).
- Answers must be submitted via the Harvest Moon Forum. Answers only, please! Don’t give away the questions to non-WH readers.
- The first god/dess to get all four questions right will win four (4) charges and be automatically entered to play in the Over the Moon Championship, held monthly on Palringo (yes, you’ll need to join Pal to play).
- The winner of the OtM Championship (to be based on a different game show each month) will receive 45 charges!!
This week’s Answers:
- 75 years ago, this man opened his first business named after a green amphibian.
- Assuming boss monsters can have one to three different abilities at any time, this is the number of possible, different combinations of abilities for boss monsters.
- Like tribbles, it emits an ear-piercing shriek of aggression, but is not bothered by Klingons.
- The one who played a Latin lover in a 90s Julia Roberts movie is also the voice of this cartoon character.
Congratulations to Godofbeer who won last week's quiz! Who will be the second contestant in this month's championship round? It could be you! See you in the forum!
Hidden Shadows Riddles
How to play:
When is a door not a door?
- Each week, a riddle will be posted in here (and only here) in The Weekly Harvest.
- To try to solve the riddle, post your answer on Hidden Shadows guild forum.
- Do not worry about the previous posts before you. If your answer is not listed yet, post it!
- You are given three tries. Once you’ve guessed three times, you will be unable to guess again.
- If the riddle is still unanswered two days before the next riddle is posted, anyone will be allowed to guess regardless of number of previous guesses.
- Answer will be posted the day of the new riddle should nobody figure out the answer.
- Winner will get a spot in sowing Sun’s Sunday sock puppet play.
- Play again next week to see if you can win!
The answer to last week’s riddle was sussed out by Beeporama ! Congratulations, Beep!
This Week’s Riddle:
The look on my face is of surprise. My brother, below me, wears the same disguise. Hold very still so we can see who moves first. I can promise it won't be we.
- Zoson who managed to put up with all of us for 600 days! His heroine earned her place as a Prophet in Harvest Moon this week! Congratulations, old man!
- Somnias Vagus who is celebrating the end to cancelling guild quests now that her heroine has reached Cardinal. Yay!