Experience — a measure of how much you have learnt from your mistakes. When talked about, it is often abbreviated to exp or XP. Heroes gain experience points mostly by defeating Monsters, although there is a plethora of other ways too. When heroes gain enough experience points, their level increases, and they become more powerful and battle-hardened.
To see how much more experience you need to level up, look on the pantheon of might and find out the total experience (in the last column) which is the highest without being in the next level band.
Types of experience
Experience comes in two main forms, starite and monstite. Starite is the rawest form of experience, when it is freshly mined from the "Caves of Leveler." It is purple in colour and in this state it is useless to any hero or heroine. However, it has a distinct flavour which most monsters would (and do, usually) kill for. Once it has been digested by a monster, it transforms into monstite, which is a fine golden dust which stays inside the monster. It is also very useful to heroes and heroines but must be earned by killing monsters to release it. Greedier monsters (usually fatter ones) provide the most experience because they are most likely to have eaten more starite. More powerful ones also have a lot since they have survived longer and so have ingested more of it.
Experience also rarely appears in questite and itemite forms too. Questite is the most unusual of experience because it is formed by the feeling of purest accomplishment that can only be obtained by completing a difficult task. Its colour and shape are specific to the hero, however many heroes say it smells slightly like peppermint. This is very high-level experience and gram for gram is worth ten times more than monstite.
Itemite is formed by magic inside special items. It is usually blue in colour and its quality is unpredictable because it can either absorb or radiate experience. Heroes who encounter this should beware, as it is very unpredictable.
Finally, there is voxite, which forms seemingly out of nowhere when minute particles in the air begin to resonate at very specific frequencies, in response to commands from above. Research into the potency of voxite as compared to the other forms is currently pending, because heroes tend to be unwilling to share it with researchers, unless the researcher is willing to join their belief system, which is antithetical to the researchers' evidence-based worldviews.
There are several certain ways by which heroes can gain experience:
- Defeat monsters and bosses. The more powerful or special the monster, the more XP.
- Complete quests. Epic quests grant more XP.
- In completed temples, gold will be sacrificed for XP upon return to Godville. 10,000gp, 20,000gp or 30,000gp will be sacrificed if available. (Exception: gold won't be converted to XP if the quest is cancelled or if the heroine has a knocked out pet.)
- Victory in the arena grants XP.
- Once per day, winning a spar against any friend will grant XP.
- Surviving to discover the treasure in a dungeon will grant XP.
- Successfully completing a sail grants XP.
- Hero-traders gain experience in trader levels when their hero is in their shop, trading.
- Any XP-generating activity will get a significant boost when the heroine has a buffed head equipment.
There are some less certain ways to gain experience:
- Sending to arena or to a spar without matching may grant XP as a consolation.
- Godvoice commands to learn may grant a small amount of XP. This is more effective at lower levels, as the XP earned is negligible at higher levels.
- Encouraging or punishing may grant XP.
- Miracles during duels or boss-monster fights have a chance to grant XP.
- Activating black box activatable artifacts, which have a description that they may do "something good or bad" to the hero, may grant XP — these include box with a question mark, continuum transfunctioner, deus ex machina, dimensional destabilizer, gift of fate, mystery box, and pandora's box. Raw data on black box results can be found here.