Voice of god
Voice of god, Vox dei - this is the way a Creator can send orders and advice to his Heroes. Sending a heavenly message to the hero is accomplished by typing it in the appropriate field of the Remote Control and hitting "Send"; sending one message costs 5% Godpower.
The Words of the Almighty sometimes can echo in the hero's heart. Deities can encourage heroes to Pray, to Sacrifice, to speed up the Quests or, return to a nearby Town, to dig for treasure - and many other things which are yet to be discovered. There is a possibility of helping the hero by giving them some extra experience, helping to slay a monster or making him heal himself. However, as Godville's gods will tell you, their orders aren't always followed well (and sometimes they are just downright ignored by the arrogant mortals). Correct understanding and execution of a command is further complicated not only by the natural laziness of the pawns, but also by the divine communication link transmission errors.
- It should be noted that the hero sometimes simply cannot follow the order. For one example, the idea to stop fighting an evil Monster in order to respond to divine call for prayer seems way too stupid even for the hero's humble mind.
- Voices have a special role at the Arena. Gladiators don't fight perfectly all the time, but some nagging from the heavens can really affect the situation, even given the heroes' less-than-acute hearing.
- Certain messages from heaven will anger the hero (such as repeated insults and bad language) and may cause their god to lose Godpower. Certain negative commands may even cause the hero to do things that can result in their Death. A god is advised to be kind to prevent such incidents.
So, a god that is lucky enough can influence a hero's life. On the other hand, a lazy hero may completely disregard anything you tell him. It's up to the silly mortal to decide what he does. You're the one who gave him free will after all.
Commands and Effects
Here is a list of command words which when included in a voice can cause the stated effect:
- Buy/Shop/Trade: Go buy items from local stores.
- Combine/Assemble "item name 1" and "item name 2": Hero crafts two artifacts in inventory into one item. The artifacts must start with the same letter.
- Complete quest faster/Hurry quest: If it works hero gains an extra 5% (may vary) to complete the current quest. Works on guild change requests.
- Abandon/Stop/Cancel quest: May cause hero to drop the current quest where it is and head back to Godville for another immediately. These guys don't need to be told twice to stop going out and getting themselves killed. Divine permission to stop risking life and limb for a while is every hero's dream... to a point. If enough quests are left incomplere, the hero will get whiny about nevver being allowed to do what he or she chooses and will stubbornly continue the current quest regardless. NOTE: Canceled quests give no reward, adn the next quest assigned will not cause the quest counter to increase from the canceled one. Mostly used in canceling Epic quests for personal preferences, miniquests for the same, and far and away most commonly used to stop a hero leaving the god's preferred guild on a random join quest.
- Create "guild name" guild: Create a guild.
- Die: Hero commits suicide. Be careful, as your hero will take any possible excuse to get out of being a hero and having 'die' anywhere in your godvoice will give your hero that excuse.
- Dig/Gold/Treasure: Dig for buried treasure (gold, artifact, or sometimes even golden brick; when done simultaneously with another hero an underground boss-monster can be dug).
- Drunk: Hero will go to a bar and waste money on a drink.
- Enroll/Join the "guild name" guild: Join a guild. (Unconfirmed: This may not be possible while already on a quest to join a guild)
- Examine/Study/Look at/Disassemble "item name": Hero examines item, which will result in finding coins inside the artifact, finding a new artifact, transforming the artifact into a different one, trading the artifact for experience, breaking the artifact, or nothing at all. If no item name is included, or if you've typoed the name (you're a god; you're supposed to be smarter than that), the hero will examine a random artifact in his inventory (probably the philosopher's stone--you should really have known better), and sometimes he'll examine a random one even if you do type the name correctly.
- Go to town/back to town/Return: Go back to town; there's some evidence that "Go to <town>" will sometimes cause a hero to skip the closest town and go to one further back on the path. (Note that, contrary to an earlier version of this entry, the command "Town" has no effect.)
- Heal/Drink/Eat/Live/Rest/Restore: Recovers hero's hit points.
- Learn: Acquire extra exp from nowhere.
- Pray/Dream/Praise/Light/Love/Temple/Worship/Give: Hero gets down on his knees and prays.
- Quest: Orders hero to return to quest.
- Sacrifice: Hero makes a sacrifice to his god. This offering can be in gold coins or in the form of an artifact from the hero's inventory.
- Stop/Cancel/Abandon quest: causes hero to cancel their current quest. Note that the "quest" is required--a simple "stop" or "cancel" will not work.
- Attack/Destroy/Hit/Kick/Knock/Punch/Smite/Strike/Wrath: Causes hero to inflict extra damage on opponent.
- Sending a voice without any actual words (an "Empty Voice" command) will either confuse the hero, make them find a random Artifact of any type, or kick a potential Monster out of the way.
- Several command words are recognized by the hero, but get no effect other than a smart remark. Here are a few: day, mortal, god(dess), beer, fool, mistake, potato, solve.
In the Arena
In the Arena, only certain voices work. If a voice works, the blue entry detailing the use of the voice will be immediately followed by another blue entry detailing the results of the voice. Your opponent's voice commands and the results of it will show up in red. These are possible voices:
- Strike/kick/hit/attack/smash/smite/punch/trample: Causes hero to inflict extra damage on opponent.
- Heal/health/rest/drink/restore/wounds: Recovers hero's hit points. Sometimes, the hero may mishear this command and strike the opponent for extra damage instead.
- Pray/give/praise/power/worship: Recovers a portion of your Godpower.
Occasionally, a hero will hear random voices from other gods, or even find a piece of melted armorial or toast with the God/Goddess' written word on it. Heroes (being as dim as they are) usually just go on their way or eat said toast. Being divine, and otherwise intelligent, gods can act upon these holy scriptures.
When godly words appear in a hero's diary a god can (on mobile devices) hold its finger on the diary entry and the options will appear. A god can then select "vote" and choose whether the voice was funny or not. The entries that have someone else's voice of god will typically appear in grey text.
- Found a piece of toast with the words "Stop, Hammertime!" burned into it. Ate the toast anyway.
- Heard a voice resonate from a nearby ravine say "Hope you ate your Wheaties today" creepy.