Talk:List of Quests
The short answer is "we can't." Back in 2013, the API showed the current quest of a hero. So, what happened was that someone made a program to scan the API of every hero (it took hours to run) and save the name of the hero's quest. Then, all those quest names were compiled into a list added to this page. At some point after 2013, the API stopped showing the name of the hero's quest. So now, running the software to view the API won't be able to see the hero's quest. That's why the software hasn't been run recently. Here is what API currently shows: https://godvillegame.com/gods/api/Godville.xml BlueStapler (talk) 18:19, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
(As I first mentioned over at Talk:Main Page#Reformat List of Quests?...)
So, after determining that List of Quests looks basically awful in either mobile skin, with all of the columns squished into narrow oblivion, I'm considering reformatting it from the current doubled-up format to a single-column table like all the others. It'll make the page seem longer (and in truth they will be slightly longer in the desktop view), but that will be offset to an extent because all of the rows that are currently wrapping to two lines would flatten out to a single line. So, it won't actually be as much longer as it may seem.
And more to the point, it'll be vaguely readable in the mobile skin(s), which seems worth the extra length. Plus, it'll allow for column sorting and other niceties that the current format ruins.
I'd do the actual edit with a regular expression find/replace algorithm, downloading a copy of the page source and then re-uploading the reformatted version, I'm not crazy enough to do all that by hand. So, it wouldn't be too much of a chore. Still... any thoughts or feelings one way or the other? -- FeRDNYC (talk) 13:55, 1 September 2018 (UTC)
- Another reason the list desperately needs to be reformatted, as discovered when adding a new entry, is that keeping a section in alphabetical order with those two-up entries potentially means having to shift dozens of row dividers within the alphabetical subsection. Kind of a nightmare if, as in this case, the quest starts with something like "Fa...".
- It would be such a pain in the neck to fix that I'm not even going to bother, the F section can have a half-filled row for a little while until I get the reformatting done. (Which I will now aim to complete ASAP, hopefully tonight but for sure this week.) -- FeRDNYC (talk) 21:25, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
Added new quest and created a page for it.
Done I added a new page and added to the page that was created for it under the List of Quest page but how do I get it to show up under the current 70 quests that have a wiki page? — Preceding unsigned comment added by DanJ210 (talk • contribs) 18:42, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
- Hey Godwiki. That list is the listing of pages which are members of Category:Quests, so the secret to getting a new article to show up there is to add that category in the article wikicode. I've taken the liberty of doing that for Fact check a book of prophecies, you can take a look at the changes in my edit to see how that's done. , thanks for expanding the
- For more info on the usual structure of those articles, I'd also recommend taking a look at Guideline: Quest Articles. (Excuse the formatting, those articles badly need updating.) Or you can just peruse some of the existing ones to get an idea of the style and typical content. -- FeRDNYC (talk) 21:18, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you FeRDNYC, I'll take a look at all the info. I'll also do some editing here and there to help out where I can without messing things up. I appreciate the answer and info into solutions to what I'm asking about. I pick up on things I see others doing and yesterday was the first time that I did any of this stuff so I'll get better. -- DanJ210 (talk • contribs) 12:00, 12 September 2018 (UTC)
As this edit, there are seasonal Halloween quests!already noted in the comment to
So far I've seen:
- Ride nightmares
- Set up a zombie apocalypse
- Survive a zombie apocalypse
And then the Side Job side-quests:
- Find n trophies with pumpkins
- Kill n undead monsters
It remains to be seen if the Side Job sticks around as a permanent feature. For now, shall we add these with a new type? These should be short, to keep the column narrow. Perhaps
[[Halloween 2018|H2018]] (there will certainly be a Halloween 2018 page, with all this cool stuff happening!), and simply side for the Side Job quests? --Djonni (talk) 19:31, 31 October 2018 (UTC) (and additional edits Djonni (talk) 19:59, 31 October 2018 (UTC))