The first skill a hero learns is acquired at level 15. For every 3 levels thereafter, a hero might learn a new skill (it is not guaranteed), up to a maximum of 10 skills. The hero does this on his own. A skill gets more powerful as its level increases, and the hero will use the skill more often. Sometimes a hero can exchange one skill for another skill of the same level.
There are 3 types of skills:
- Combat skills automatically used during battle (be it against other hero or monster)
- Trade skills automatically used at the counter in a shop
- Transportational skills automatically used while traveling
All skills have a level, which dictates the potency of the skill. These levels will increase over time via two different means:
- In a town, by spending approximately 500 x the skill level to be attained gold coins.
- Upgrading it for free through practice. Many believe this is a cumulative process, but occasional instances of the same skill being upgraded twice in rapid succession suggest that there is instead a random chance of the skill being upgraded each time it is used.