Artifacts of Godville
|Gift of fate|
Affect in a good or a bad way (Black boxes)|
A Gift of fate is a magical present sent from above that was intended to be received by a particularly scatter-brained hero, but that was never delivered to its designated recipient and so has remained lost in time. Their rarity can be explained by the simple fact that not many heroes will ignore such a powerful gift from their god, however stupid they may be.
Example of use
||This item can affect your hero in a good or bad way (requires 50% of godpower to activate this item)
07:22 Felt a burning desire to open the Gift of fate. Found inside something unbelievable — a scroll with instructions on how to get a premature level up!
There are many possible outcomes of activating a Gift of fate[BB 1].
- Positive outcomes include finding the following inside:
- Gold coins (around 100-9926, though more than 9926 gold coins have been discovered)
- Golden bricks (usually one, but up to three have been discovered)
- A notarized document stating that the hero has died fewer times than thought, which reduces a hero’s death count by one or two, and increases your position in the pantheon of survival
- A scroll with instructions for a premature level up, which immediately increases the level of the hero by one
- Nothing, but a hero gains experience points (around 3000) in the process
- Tribbles, which are released into the hero's inventory
- Negative outcomes include:
- Finding a notarized death certificate inside, which increases a hero's death count by one, and reduces your position in the pantheon of survival
- Finding a note inside stating that some of the hero's experience points were achieved by dishonest means, which reduces the hero's experience points
- Releasing a spiteful gremlin from inside the item that will steal about half of the hero's gold coins
- Nothing happening. If your hero has not completed their temple, the annoyed hero tries to break the Gift of fate with a golden brick resulting in the loss of the item and the golden brick. If the temple is complete, nothing happens but the loss of the artifact and expenditure of godpower.
Overall, positive effects are much more likely than negative effects.